Image Map

October 5, 2011

Pine Cone Flower Garland

PINE CONE FLOWERS...LOVE!  
This is such a pretty DIY!  I love that this simple garland is an easy one! All you need are pine cones, some felt, garden shears, hot glue, wood beads, twine and paint (optional).

And in all honesty...my obsession with garlands needed to be fed for the Fall Season. :)

Our neighborhood is full of long leaf pine trees so we have pine cones EVERYWHERE.  It has been fun hunting for pine cones with my girls and teaching them how to find pine trees.  And I must say I crack up when my youngest daughter points to a palm tree and calls it a pine tree because they have "pointy" branches.  It really is weird to have palm trees and pine trees next to each other in Florida.

I digress.  So.  It would not be the Fall season without throwing some pine cone love in the crafty mix.
Now gather a bunch of pine cones.  The bigger the better. Grab some wood beads and cut out about a dozen 2 inch felt circles.
1. Using the garden shears, cut all the little sections off the pine cone.  
2. Hot glue them around the felt circle in a flower pattern (as if they were petals) until you get to the middle.  
3. I tried using the biggest pieces on the outside edge (found towards the bottom of your pine cone) and the smaller pieces towards the middle. 
Instead of filling the middle with smaller pieces, use one of your wood beads as the center of your flower to make them look different.
I decided to paint some of them white for a bit of rustic distressing added to it. 
It nicely satisfies my cottage style heart. 

And please don't tell me it looks Christmasy.  
Let's pretend it doesn't. 
I almost did not post this because I thought it looked Christmasy but then I figured no one else has to paint them or use white if they did not want to.  
So I posted it. Yay me. :)
Postscript:  I have already seen this pinned 3x under the category Christmas.  Sigh. So be it. :)
To create the garland I just hot glued twine to the top of the felt circles (they are slightly heavy) on the back while spacing my flowers out evenly. I ended up using about 5-6 pine cones to make 12 flowers.
So pretty!
I hope you make some pretty pine cone flowers too!
Let me know if you do!
Hugs to all of you Fellow Fall Lovin' friends!

47 comments:

  1. Sooooo cute! Love the way it turned out :-) Beautiful! Love, Me

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO adorable! You are creative beyond words. :) Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really cute, I'm already thinking of using those cinnamon pine cones to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. STICKER! Heck yes: S T I C K E R !

    This is SO adorable! LUV!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOO cute! Love that - thanks for the tutorial!

    I would love it if you share this project at my link party @ http://www.jaqsstudio.com/2011/10/jaqs-studio-first-ever-linky-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY love this! So pretty and creative! Thanks so much for sharing at The Creative Spark. I'll be featuring this on my facebook page tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your week!
    jenn :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's gorgeous! I want to make one for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I love it on the fence and it would look so pretty on a mantel! I'm your newest follower too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is beautiful!!
    I'll try to do this :-)
    Thank you
    Etta

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well I just think this looks totally fall-ish and I love the white on some of the cones, and I love your garland, so there :) It could work for Christmas, too, but really, right now it's working perfectly for Autumn. And I just brought home a boatload of pine cones yesterday from the woods around the soccer field and I am so totally going to copy you!

    Hugs,
    Mary @ Redo 101

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome! I just picked up some pinecones from around the neighborhood and was wondering what to do w/them. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow - these are SO pretty! :) I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! I am in love. I don't want to dissapoint you, but mine will be pinned on Christmas as well. I'm also thinking these would make stinking cute hair clips...I'll let you know how that goes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there- found you through the hop and am a new follower. I love your flowers! I recently made a seashell garland with twine (http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com/2011/09/seashell-garland-using-crocheted-garden.html) I hope you have time to follow my life in South Africa by http://withoutcomplexities.blogspot.com

    I hope you are having a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those are the cutest!!! What a great idea!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jess . . . I think these would be lovely pretty much any time of year. So who cares where they're pinned? Great job! Someday I will be as craftabulous as you! SOMEDAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I wonder how they would fair as a broach ... LOVE, love, love the look. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow, what a cute idea! very nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As usual, I love it. Sure, they can be Christmasy, but that's the nature of pinee cones right? They would also be really cute strung up at a fall rustic wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Stopped by from Be Different Act Normal. LOVE this. They do look a bit Christmasy in the pics by themselves, but strung against the fence they don't. What a beautiful idea! Thanks for sharing!!

    Jaymie @ http://dancesdishesanddreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is great! Pinning this idea for Christmas. Saw you at Somewhat Simple :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a fun idea!!!! It turned out beautiful. Thank you so much sharing and for linking up to our party Show and Share this week! Come on back this Wednesday to link up your current projects.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'll be featuring you tomorrow during STICKER time... Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh sweet, sweet, sweet!!! Love this very creative idea!! I think these could be for any season. Think about how sweet these flowers would look in fushia, orange, and line green for summer!!! Found you through JAQS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love this! YOU ROCK! I will be trying this, so I've pinned you! Found you on Clean and Scentsible's Facebook page.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea and I too live on a block full of pine trees, and will give it a try. TTMF Hugs Marilou

    ReplyDelete
  27. Garlands of (almost) any kind are my all-time favorite!! Yours is gorgeous!! Malia sent me here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I'm thinking gift wrap! Thanks for the inspiration...SO COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I just pinned it under Thanksgiving before reading through!! Thanks for the idea! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is a lovely idea and ideal when i still have a bag of pine cones that a friend collected for me last year that hubby keeps saying, what are you doing with these. May use this idea or something similar so thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love this, I am excited to make this with my kids for fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks, I love project with pinr cone.
    I link you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Ops, I was wrong to write :D
    Thanks, I love project with pine cone.
    I link you! =)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love this! Plan on taking the kids out tomorrow to help me find some pinecones. I just read your About tab. I also LOVE garlands!!! My friends kind of make fun of me for it!! :-). I live up in Jacksonville and my husband and I are on staff at a church. Nice to find your blog. :-).

    ReplyDelete
  35. I finally made my own pinecone garland last week and just posted about it. I linked back to your tutorial. Thanks again for sharing this idea.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love this idea and I tweeted about it (https://twitter.com/#!/DIY_daily). It also gave me an idea for a variation on the project. If I ever get around to doing it I'll blog about it and link back to you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  37. OH MY GOODNESS! I love this. You see a ton of pinecone garlands all around but I've never seen something like this. Thanks for sharing! Found you through Apartment Therapy (one of my garlands was featured as well!) I can't believe I've never landed on your blog before -- definitely following from this point forward :)

    ReplyDelete
  38. This is beautiful! Thank you for this project!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love, comments and I read every one! Please keep in mind that I sometimes moderate each one so it may take a bit before it appears on the post. Thanks my sweet friends!